A few questions

general questions about Neat Video
Fifonik

A few questions

Post by Fifonik »

Hello everybody.

I read manual and forum, however haven't found answers on some of my questions.

1. For example I made Sony Vegas project in which Neat Video plugin version 2.x is used. Then I upgrade plugin to version 3.x. Can I just re-render the project to get quality benefits or I have to re-build Noise Profiles in all fragments where the plugin is used?

2. I have a few fragments recorded by one camcorder in the similar conditions. I stabilized these fragments or pan/crop some of them. So every fragment have the unique "zoom factor". As I understand, for better results I have to Build Noise Profile for each fragment. Am I right?

3. After I press "Auto Profile" button the plugin selects 128x128 area. Quite often I see bigger areas on the frame that are "flat" and can be used for building Noise Profile so I can easily increase the size of that area and press "Auto Profile" button again as it described in manual. However, in this case the value in "Quality" field in always decreased which means that the bigger area is worse that the area which was found automatically. My question is: should I increase the area manually or I should leave it as is?

4. On some frames I see dark and light areas that can be used for building Noise Profile. Usually I see more noise on dark areas. Which area should I use for building Noise Profile -- dark or light?

Many thanks.

P.S. Sorry if my questions are silly. I'm novice in video editing.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I will answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can just re-render, the results will be better. You can also re-build profiles, the results might be a bit better yet.

2. Yes, that is correct.

3. If 128x128 is found automatically, it is likely that further increasing the size will not make a significant improvements. However, if you find a larger area with noise and no details, then you can certainly use it. As long as the area contains no details and contans visible noise, you will be fine, even if the quality figure is decreased.

4. I recommend to use something in the middle of the brightness range, or if there is no such areas then use the most noisy area, which usully is in the darks.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
Fifonik

Post by Fifonik »

Thanks for your answers.

2. Could you recommend the position of Neat Video filter in the filters chain? I mean I can resize (pan+crop) the frame first and then denoise it or I can denoise original frame first and then resize it.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It will work fine in any position, so I recommend to chose the position that enables the most efficient workflow.

Vlad
Fifonik

Post by Fifonik »

Thanks for your answers (both fast and accurate).

Sorry for asking questions that have been already answered (I'm reading forum and have found almost the same questions).