FCP 7.0.3 Crash Problem

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
hoorel

FCP 7.0.3 Crash Problem

Post by hoorel »

Hey guys and gals,

I keep having a crash of my FCP on my I5 iMac with 4g RAM and a 1tb HD. It happens during rendering of a sequence. For some reason, if two clips on separate video tracks are overlapping, FCP crashes and the error dialogue states that Neat Video was the culprit.

If I go back through my sequence and make sure that no clip is overlapping another and re-render then it completes the render and I can move on to grading and other filters. It doesn't matter what the source material is, it happens with all of video types.

This is becoming more of a problem because I cannot do crossfades and other transitions with footage on different tracks because it is sure to crash.

I shoot primarily with Nikon D90/5000 and a Sony HVR-A1U and have saved so much footage using Neat Video. But I have also lost quite a few choice edits and sequences due to hitting CMD-R to render instead of CMD-S to save first.

Any ideas?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The general solution to such kind of problems is the following:
1) please prepare a small test project that allows to reproduce a crash when you open this project in FCP and render;
2) e-mail the test project (zip the project and all files it uses into a single zip file) to support [at] neatvideo.com;
3) we will receive the test project, run it on our computers, reproduce the crash, determine the cause and find a solution or prepare a fix.

Thank you,
Vlad
hoorel

Post by hoorel »

I think I may have figured it out... I do all my editing in ProRes422 and I have multiple sources... I found that by taking the Temporal Filter Radius down to 1 or 0, the transitions will render without it crashing. I havent checked that out with the overlapping of the clips.

I am running 2 different sources. I am running a Sony HVR-A1U (very NOISY) in 1920x1080, and a D90 at 1280x720 on a 1280x720 23.98 sequence. I have converted both sources to ProRes422 and have no problem rendering everything else from a D90 rescaler to Magic Bullet Looks, but I noticed that the A1U footage is so noisy that I had moved the Temporal Filter Radius up to 3 or 4 to help out what was a lost cause of noisy video.

By dropping that back to 1 or 0 like I said, the clip rendered fine. I guess I will have to live with some noise. But my low light D90 footage looks FANTASTIC! By far your noise reduction is the best money I've ever spent.

I will post back here if I have any problems with overlapping clips and the above mentioned is not the culprit.

Thank you again!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

There may still be a bug or something like that. If we could reliably reproduce it on our computers using a test project then we could most likely find and fix it and then you would be able to render with any radius.

If you can please send a small test project.

Thank you,
Vlad