HDV profile

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
sollthar

HDV profile

Post by sollthar »

Hi all

I've purchased Neat Video today and I love it. However, I was wondering if any of you more experienced users could give me a hint or tip.

I'm looking to get rid of the typical HDV compression noise that is mostly apparent in low light condition and so far, my results have been good but not excellent (In the autoprofile, I get 30% which I assume isn't very good).

I was wondering if you could help me. Is there either a downloadable noise profile for HDV or do you have any tips in getting a good noise profile done for it?

Thanks in advance.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

There is no such thing as a universal noise profile for HDV that fits all cameras and compression types. It is actually necessary to build a new profile for each specific camera and its operating mode (including compression settings) to match the properties of noise generated by that camera working in that mode. The Neat Video user guide describes the profiling process in details. I can also recommend to shoot the Calibration Target that we usually use in Neat Image to build more accurate profiles.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
smcginni

Post by smcginni »

This may not help you with your present footage, but has definitely helped me when I *think* that I might need to use NV:

While in my setting, I shoot a 5 second clip of a blank wall or other full frame suitable subject to use to build a noise profile. That way, I don't have to rely upon finding a frame that works later - I just create the profile using that clip and then apply it to other similar clips shot under similar conditions.

So, far, this has saved a lot of time and my results have been very good.

I would think that using the adaptive setting would be good in this case.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, shooting a blank area like a flat wall is good solution too, it will help to build a profile. Using the above target is even more accurate but then you need to carry a print out of the target with you.

Adaptive filtration is good in all cases when the shooting conditions change along the shot (for example, lightness changes as you move from one room to another).

Vlad