A couple of questions after 1 week usage ...

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
MoldCAD

A couple of questions after 1 week usage ...

Post by MoldCAD »

Hi,

So, I've been further experimenting with NV in Vegas, and find it to be a very good tool indeed.

I do have a couple of questions, though:

1. Auto mode Device Profile from the simple interface better than carefully build manual one with advanced options

On the day one, I let the NV plug-in build a profile for my device automatically, and its quality is 78%. After I read the Manual to understand the software better, I tried many times to "beat" the auto mode using the same clip, but never succeeded (my manual profiles' quality being just some 50-60%). This is strange by itself, but even stranger is that the auto profile looks really weird on the equalizer - in that apart from the darkest areas (left side), most of the curve falls into negative values! While the manual profiles get smoothed out, so the curves look nice and never go below zero... In spite of that, the results using the auto profile are much, much better than those from my manually built ones.

Is this normal, or is the clip I'm working on a "special case"?

2. How to retain a white wall stucco's natural features while removing shimmering noise from it?

The wall in question was strongly back-lit when filmed, so it fell into the most noisy exposure range of my particular camera. I'm able to:

- either remove all noise, which looks nice and quiet but somewhat unnatural (the stucco looks more like a smooth plaster), or

- keep some natural texture, but with unsatisfactory overall noise removal

I realize this is probably one of those difficult cases when one must compromise, but wanted to know if any hints exist on how to achieve optimum results.

Thanks,

Piotr
Last edited by MoldCAD on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NVTeam

Re: A couple of questions after 1 week usage ...

Post by NVTeam »

MoldCAD wrote:most of the curve falls into negative values!
There is nothing wrong with negative values. It just means that noise in those brightness ranges is weaker than in the dark ranges.
MoldCAD wrote:the results using the auto profile are much, much better than those from my manually built ones.

Is this normal, or is the clip I'm working on a "special case"?
This probably indicates that you can improve your results in manual mode by selecting a better area for initial rough analysis. I recommend to select the most noisy area for that.
MoldCAD wrote:2. How to retain a white wall stucco's natural features while removing shimmering noise from it?
I recommend to try the following steps:
1. build a noise profile using an area outside of that wall, so that those useful texture details are not considered noise by the profile and filter;
2. try to reduce the noise reduction amount in the luminance channel (Y);
3. try to increase the temporal filter radius.

Hope this helps,
Vlad