MY tips and findings with Neat Video AFTER EFFECTS CS5 (WIN)

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
mathewlisett

MY tips and findings with Neat Video AFTER EFFECTS CS5 (WIN)

Post by mathewlisett »

Ok this topic will eb constantly updated when i find things and experince certain subjects.

if you plan to use this plugin, ie the noise reduction and you system doesnt have more than 5gb of memory, and a gpu that doesnt support opengl. You will sadly come across AE crashing becuase it can not handle to job.

currently i have 6gb and several times now its crashed even at 5gb usuage, and i dont think my 9800gt card is a perfect match either.

The plugin when used can also help against bad flicker, it wont cure it (from my week of tryign to pre render the first stage), but im wondering ifits pre rendered and done again, that it will deal with it even more.

unless you have a graphics card lieka quadro which can cost mid range about £700 gbp, the playback and pre rendering can take a good day.

pre rendering on a 9800gt card and only 6gb memory can take with avi from what im seeing 13 hours. (EDIT: doing via avi seems to do uncompressed avi which only 1/4 of the pre render did 60+ gb and stopped the rendering)

edit 2: seems that its to do with the way certain formats of video file are encoded and used in the software, seems that this will cuase many issues for the rendering. So encode the origanl file to quicktime mov animation.

how ever doign bluray h.264, quicktime MOV can take up to and over 30 hours. on a q6600 oc's to 3.51ghz

UPDATES will happen when i find more. plus i will be doign videos hopefully at soem stage showing how to use th plugin as there arent any around .
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Please note that the graphic card is not relevant. It is not used by the filter.

If you get any crashes, please collect the crash data (all the details provided by AE crash reported or by Windows) and send them for analysis to support [at] neatvideo.com. This way we will be able to identify and resolve any issues much faster.

Thank you,
Vlad
mathewlisett

Post by mathewlisett »

i may have found that the crashes were more towards how the operating system was acting.

how ever, when you are operating with certain settings such as the 32 bit float for high procision, you will need a lot of memory. and even 8bit will cuase to use up the memory

if your system doesnt have more than 4gb, you are going to have issues. but this doesnt directly have anythign to do with this plugin just the settings within AE and im guessing the others.

but it was and is justa warnign for users out there.

at present the item is very impressive.