WOW!...and an important question

general questions about Neat Video
Tom

WOW!...and an important question

Post by Tom »

Just bought your software and played a little with it. The manual has not been read fully yet.

Standard "auto profile" was used to try things out and waited for the result (did not know you can check it in advance): there is only one expression to decribe my feelings:

WOW!

But I also have a concern. I am a user of auto ISO quite a lot on my Canon 5D MarkII. Is it really true (didn't know that) that footage with dynamic ISO settings applied cannot be properly noise-reduced???

That would really be a big dissapointment.

Maybe the webmaster can give me a good answer and advise.

P.S. I am not complaining, still in shock about the great initial results!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It is not true that footage with dynamic ISO settings applied cannot be properly noise-reduced. It can be properly noise-reduced if you apply noise reduction correctly. One option would be to use the Adaptive Filtration option in Neat Video. Another - to split the clip into scenes (each of them would presumably have different ISO settings) and then build individual noise profiles for each scene for most accurate correspondence between different ISO rates, corresponding noise and noise profiles that describe them for the noise filter.

Vlad
Tom

Post by Tom »

NVTeam wrote:It is not true that footage with dynamic ISO settings applied cannot be properly noise-reduced. It can be properly noise-reduced if you apply noise reduction correctly. One option would be to use the Adaptive Filtration option in Neat Video. Another - to split the clip into scenes (each of them would presumably have different ISO settings) and then build individual noise profiles for each scene for most accurate correspondence between different ISO rates, corresponding noise and noise profiles that describe them for the noise filter.

Vlad

The last solution wouldn't work, since ISO is adapted every second. And offcourse I can't splt the footage into 1000 subclips. The first one: I don't know what you mean (but yes, I will "read the f*** manual")

Another solution is to set ISO in a fixed position, but that would be a pity while it will use a higher ISO even when it is not needed, introducing a lot of extra clips to be processed.

Any other ideas or solutions...I won't be the first to come up with this "problem"?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Even if ISO is adapted every second, significant changes will only take place when you seriously change the shooting conditions. Like going outdoors from inside a house, one scene will change into another with very different light. Such a change of scenes doesn't happen every second, so splitting the footage into scenes can still be a useful idea. Combined with Adaptive, it should do the trick I think.

Vlad
Tom

Post by Tom »

NVTeam wrote:Even if ISO is adapted every second, significant changes will only take place when you seriously change the shooting conditions. Like going outdoors from inside a house, one scene will change into another with very different light. Such a change of scenes doesn't happen every second, so splitting the footage into scenes can still be a useful idea. Combined with Adaptive, it should do the trick I think.

Vlad
Okay, thanks

BUT...filming inside can and will actually often give a huge amount of variation. Go from a well-lit room to a much dimmer room (which in my situation is often the case) and the difference between 500 ISO to 6400 ISO is a reality. Even in one room there can be a big differenc. For instance filming a well-lit painting on the wall and the a dimmer corner of the room where someone is sitting in a chair. I really think this is no use. You have to go for other strategies (many subclips) and frequent checking your ISO.

I just read about the adaptive setting. Made some footage ten minutes ago with lots of different ISO's...its rendering now (one hour for little over two minutes!!!)

Can you give me an advise using the apaptive setting? Should I take a frame with the worst possible noise? Or somewhere in between? Did you guys ever do some test with this adaptive thing? If so...what do the experts at Neatvideo say about the best strategy?

Thanks so much
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

1. It makes sense to profile the most noisy part of the clip.

2. Use Adaptive when the noise properties change along the timeline.

3. If changes in the noise strenght along the timeline are too strong for Adaptive to compensate, split the clip or use several keyframes and build separate profiles for different scenes.

4. It very much depends on your footage, camera, scenes, so you will need to experiment in any case.

Vlad
Tom

Post by Tom »

NVTeam wrote:1. It makes sense to profile the most noisy part of the clip.

2. Use Adaptive when the noise properties change along the timeline.

3. If changes in the noise strenght along the timeline are too strong for Adaptive to compensate, split the clip or use several keyframes and build separate profiles for different scenes.

4. It very much depends on your footage, camera, scenes, so you will need to experiment in any case.

Vlad

Okay...I will experiment for a while. Still, your denoising is great as it is!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Rendering is done! Footage varied from 640 ISO to 6400 ISO. Auto profiling was done with the worst possible noise. No sharpening, no extra settings....just plain and simple. Remember, footage is 1920X1080 progressive.

The outcome???

Well, I am very surprised...and happy! All the footage looks great. Maybe lost a little bit of details (not that much), but I can always split it into two or three clips (no swet) and be a little less agressive with the denoising...and still do some sharpening.

But this first experiment results in.....VICTORY FOR NEATVIDEO!

Thanks guys! I love you!