Virtualdub: Neatvideo 2.2 becomes slow on my PC

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
NeatOliver

Well...

Post by NeatOliver »

Ok Vlad but all my hardware is correctly installed.

- The CPU don't move or something like that, he is firmly fixed and installed and pretty clean with the arctic silver thermal compound 3.5g. No dust, nothing.
- The temperature in my room is around 18°C.
- My motherboard is around 34°C
- My Power supply is a CORSAIR TX650W, my memory is also from CORSAIR.
- My hardware run and pretty fast! And perfectly with other programs like After Effect CS4 and Photoshop CS4.

So I don't know why I have ONLY this kind of problem with your plug-in, Vlad. You see what I mean?... :(
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

You also have the same problem with a regular cpuburn and your collected data clearly show a correlation between cpu temperature and throttling. Our plug-in has no part in those tests and measurements. And still, your computer goes blue screens under heavy load according to your recent post. So, it is painfully clear that the problem in the hardware or in system software that controls that hardware. A properly functioning hardware will not go blue screen because of heavy load of cpuburn.

Vlad
NeatOliver

Post by NeatOliver »

Well ok, Vlad. I'm gonna check this right now... Ok.
If I find something, I shall say to you the next time. Thank you so much for your support, I appreciate it. Have a nice day, Vlad. Good bye.
noir

Post by noir »

I agree with Vlad here, really does look like a cooling problem. Maybe the cooler is not tough enough, maybe thermal paste was wrongfully applied to the processor.

Another take at it: do you overclock? do you underclock or minimise voltage? The symptoms you are seeing are quite common among us overclockers, i saw quite a bit of bluescreens myself till i found the right voltage/ghz relation for mine. And those limits of the cpu only appear when you run programs that use all cores of the cpu at 100%.. something a program really never does. And if it does, it is a testimony to the coder's skill :)
NeatOliver

Hi NOIR, Hi VLAD... Good news everyone!!!

Post by NeatOliver »

*-*-*-*-* GOOD NEWS ! *-*-*-*-*

Sorry NOIR but I don't overclock my PC or something like that. But thank you for your help. Well, I have a bad and a good news!
The bad news is: You both are wrong. The good news is: I find why, finally! (I knew that my PC worked well, god damn it!) :twisted: :lol:

The problem in fact, is that Virtualdub don't use the DUAL CORE Processor with XP 32bits at all!
And Suddenly... Tadaaaaaa! I knew some people had informed me in the past about this kind of problem with some "old" programs!
So I immediately did some researches on the Internet to find a small program or something. And I find it! It's called "SMP Seesaw by Mike Lin".
Here the direct link: http://www.mlin.net/files/SMPSeesaw.msi

With this small program, you can select EVERY program that you want and move it to the CPU 0 or CPU 1 or BOTH!
Like this, every "old" programs and old games (Painkiller...) everything works fine now! No freeze, no problems with the DUAL CORE anymore.
So now, with virtualdub and the NeatVideo plug-in, I have between 4 and 7 FPS with a radius 5 and STABLE!... I'm the best! I'm just kidding :lol:

If some people like me have a AMD 64 DUAL CORE, please install and run this program if you have some trouble with some old applications for XP 32bits!
Exist a Virtualdub 64-bit (AMD64) version. But as the author say:
"You must have the x64 Extended (64-bit) version of Windows to run the 64-bit version of Virtualdub. You cannot run this version on a 32-bit version of Windows even if your CPU is 64-bit capable."

Ok here finally, here the screenshot with this program and Virtualdub:...Hurray! :P :P :P
Anyway, thank you once again Vlad for your support :)

Video Filters used: NeatVideo ONLY - (basic settings) - Radius 5 / Threshold 0
Video Size: 352x288 / 6 minutes / 29.970 FPS / 10790 Frames --> CPU 0
Last edited by NeatOliver on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:00 am, edited 7 times in total.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

And now check the load on the CPU1.

Vlad
NeatOliver

Post by NeatOliver »

Video Size: 352x288 / 6 minutes / 29.970 FPS / 10790 Frames --> CPU 1
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

You are shifting VD from CPU 0 to CPU 1. This is not what I asked you to check. Please leave it on CPU 0 and check the load on CPU 1 at that time. Perhaps you will then see the problem: without SMP Seesaw, VD and NV use both cores, with SMP Seesaw they use only one. It is better than running with throttling but about twice worse than using two cores at full power.

Vlad
NeatOliver

Ok, Vlad...

Post by NeatOliver »

Ok, Vlad. Here the screenshot :o
Video Size: 352x288 / 6 minutes / 29.970 FPS / 10790 Frames --> CPU 0 (Monitoring on CPU 1)
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thanks. The problem should be clear now, just as described above.

Vlad
NeatOliver

Absolutely, Vlad.

Post by NeatOliver »

Yes, absolutely Vlad. And if some people have the same problem as me, you can recommend them to make the same thing as me, I think.
Or develop another version of NeatVideo for DUAL CORE processor, perhaps? (I'm just kidding) :wink:
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It seems you haven't clearly understood my comments above.

Earlier today, your computer overheated so CPU throttled to reduce generated heat and that made the actual FPS of VD/NV rendering lower (like 1-2fps). At that time, VD/NV used BOTH cores (CPU ran with throttling).

Then you found, that using cpuburn on both cores could overheat the CPU so much that it bluescreened.

Then you found that if you limit VD/NV to run on ONE core only (using the SMP Seesaw), then it runs without overheating because using ONE core is slower and generates less heat than using BOTH cores. So now you get about 5 fps just because you run VD/NV on ONE core at full speed without throttling. You intentially limited it to run on one core using SMP Seesaw.

Now, if your computer hardware functioned properly and did not overheat because of high load then you could run it on both cores at full speed without throttling and then you would get something like 10 fps. But the hardware is not working properly and on two cores you get either throttling (and 2 fps) or bluescreen.

Do you understand that "the solution" that you have found is not really solving the hardware (overheating) problem? It simply limits (50%) the load on the CPU so that it doesn't overheat from full load. 5 fps is better than 2 fps, but worse than 10 fps. ;-)

Time to fix the hardware.

Vlad

P.S. NV is able to use both cores and does exactly that if you don't limit VD to run on one core only. ;-)
Last edited by NVTeam on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeatOliver

Oops!

Post by NeatOliver »

Yes... I'm tired that's why, sorry... It's late you kown ZZzZZzzz :(
Well ok, but do you think programs like Sandra from SiSoft can help me to find the real problem, Vlad? Or do you know better program than this one?
Last edited by NeatOliver on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The real problem is in hardware, most likely CPU heat sink. I doubt any software can detect that except cpuburn. ;-)

Vlad
NeatOliver

You're right...

Post by NeatOliver »

Oh... You're right, Vlad. I forgot this stupid thing! Damn it, it's pretty late now. Time to sleep I think :lol:... Ok Vlad, see you tomorow for the next episode? :wink: