Virtualdub: Neatvideo 2.2 becomes slow on my PC

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
NeatOliver

Virtualdub: Neatvideo 2.2 becomes slow on my PC

Post by NeatOliver »

My PC: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ / 3.10 Ghz / 2 Go Ram

Hello,

I have a problem with NeatVideo 2.2 with Virtualdub 1.9.5 (or greater)

During encoding (with every video codecs) at EVERY 2:15 minutes, NeatVideo becomes really slow. Virtualdub say "Time elapsed 25:15" (for example) everything is ok but after 2:15 minutes, it say "Time elapsed 1:50:15". I stop the encoding and then, my CPU going really slow to during 5 secs. And after that, everything is ok. So, I tried to un-install the program and re-install it again, but I have still the same problem. Same thing if I use another version of Virtualdub. So, I'm really confused and I really don't understand what happen. Pretty strange huh?... Any idea ?

Thank you by advance, guys.

For info: I have no virus, trojan, spyware etc... Absolutely nothing. My PC run perfectly with any programs like video editor, games etc...
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Perhaps CPU throttling caused by overheating? Can you reproduce this on any other PC?

Vlad
NeatOliver

Post by NeatOliver »

Thank you so much for your VERY quick reply ! Hehehe.

Well... No. I'm sure, because I play many times games like Neverwinther night 2, doom3, painkiller with full details and high resolution, etc. And my CPU have no problems. I use also adobe after effect and never my CPU becomes slow. And with any kind of programs... Never. I have only this problem with your filter (registered home version) for virtualdub. That's why I really don't know what happen. honestly this pretty strange and I don't know why this happen at every 2:15 minutes with any kind of video (size, codec...). I'm a not a newbie with my PC and seriously I have no virus or anything else. All my drivers are ok and updated... Maybe a clean register can be useful or something else... I don't get it... Ptttttt :(

Any idea? :(
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Unfortunately, no idea so far. It all sounds as strange for me as it does for you. I would try to reproduce it on another computer. It is most likely related to specific hardware or software setup on that PC. Perhaps some antivirus, or something like that. The simplest diagnostics solution is to exclude all factors by trying to reproduce on another PC.

The fact games work well doesn't indicate no overheating is happening because most games are GPU-bounded, not CPU-bounded. Video processing is CPU-bounded. After Effects does not always push CPU high enough too.

Do you monitor the actual temperature and clock speed of the CPU as well as its throttling status?

Vlad
NeatOliver

Post by NeatOliver »

Yes I do that already. I tried. And I know GPU are used for games.
I know that. But... That don't explain why with another programs like Adobe After effect or something else, everything works fine.

Ok Vlad, here a screenshot:

NeatOliver

Post by NeatOliver »

Last edited by NeatOliver on Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Could you clarify, what exactly is the problem? Are you asking why VirtualDub (1) changes its estimation of the expected processing time and (2) changes it at the point of 2:15 min?

Vlad
NeatOliver

Post by NeatOliver »

The problem is, as you can see on the first screenshot, virtualdub became slow on the first graph after 2:15 to 2:43 etc... And then the time encoding change, 0:25 minutes to 1:31:58 and much more after that... Sometimes I have over 3:50:00 for a video with 640x480 for only 20 minutes... You see what I mean, Vlad? I mean, I don't know why time estimated change so much. 1 hour to 3 or 4... So the question is: "What the hell is going on?" lol

:(
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

If VirtualDub changes its estimation and such a change seems strange then the best solution in my opinion would be to ask VirtualDub author about that. Perhaps it is a bug in VirtualDub, or perhaps a normal behaviour. Perhaps it simply cannot make an accurate estimation until 2:15 minutes have passed? If it is a beta version of VirtualDub, it can be anything. Why not report it as a bug to the author of VirtualDub?

Regarding the graph, I see only a minor decrease in CPU utilization of one core. It is not an order of magnitude change, not something that could cause a change from 0:25 to 1:31:58.

Please check how the Video rendering rate value is changing over time. In your screenshot it is 1.84 fps. Please check how much does it change during rendering of the first 3 minutes.

Thank you,
Vlad
NeatOliver

Post by NeatOliver »

Ok Vlad, good idea! And about the 2:15 minutes is really to short to estimate encoding time, you're right. Never I use a beta version of virtualdub, only stable versions.

"Please check how the Video rendering rate value is changing over time..."

Ok, I will do that, Vlad. :)

Well, Vlad... I thank you so so much for your very quick reply and your support. I really appreciate it and I promise you, if I find something else, I mean some reason why virtualdub became slow, I come back on the forum and give you the latest "news" lol. Thank you once again for all you do for us, Vlad. You and the rest of your team... Bye Vlad :)
NeatOliver

Hello again, Vlad!

Post by NeatOliver »

Hello again, Vlad. Here the latest "news":

"Please check how the Video rendering rate value is changing over time..."

Unfortunately, I tried many things like: checking my motherboard BIOS settings, turn off some windows services (temporary), turn off my anti-virus (temporary also, lol), I tried the VirtualDub-1.9.7-AMD64 version... Everything I can do. But the FPS change every time during process, like 9.72 FPS / 1.85 FPS / 4.4 FPS etc. And the video rending rate value change every time also. So I tested again with a small video (352x256 - 15 mins) with anything else than your plugin in video filters and encode it with Xvid codec, after 20 mins of process, the "time elapsed" change: 1 hour and 47 mins to... 4 hours and 33 mins! I used a freeware called "Core Temp 0.99.5" to check the temperature of my CPU during the process and encoding.

NOTE: the CPUs temperatures was at 70°(Celsius) at start, during 2 or 4 minutes and then it changed to 60° and then to something around 50°. I'm lost and confused Vlad, really. Here the screenshot:

Last edited by NeatOliver on Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NVTeam

Re: Hello again, Vlad!

Post by NVTeam »

NeatOliver wrote:the "time elapsed" change
"time elapsed" or "total time (estimated)" ?

What was the time it actually spent to finish that rendering?

Please specify: frame size, clip fps, clip length in seconds, time actually spent on rendering (measured by a stopwatch).

Thank you,
Vlad
NeatOliver

Post by NeatOliver »

"Time elapsed or estimed?"
I meant "Time estimed", sorry :oops:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
During the new test (as I wrote on my previous message):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Video Frame Size: 352x256 pixels
Decompressor: Xvid MPEG-4 Codec (Xvid)
Color Depth: RGB888 (Input/Output)
Clip FPS: 29 (29.970)
Clip Length in sec: 900 (15 minutes)
Time Spent on Rending: 4 Hours 33 Minutes
CPU Temperatures: 50°C to 52°C Maxi (During the process and encoding) 70°C during first 2 minutes with 9 FPS
FPS during encoding: 1.84 to 4 Maxi
Video Codec Used: Xvid MPEG-4 Codec (Xvid)
Mesured By a Stopwatch: ...I beg you pardon, Vlad?

- Other Program(s) Running During The Process:
No anti-virus, etc. Nothing else just Virtualdub 1.9

- Video Filters Used During The Process:
Neatvideo 2.2 only
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

How did you measure the time spet on rendering? Did you take that figure (4 Hours 33 Minutes) from VirtualDub's "total time (estimated)" field? Or you actually measured the time using some stopwatch or clock?

Thank you,
Vlad
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

BTW, when did this issue started to occur? I believe it all worked properly in the past, is that correct?

Vlad