Neat Finalcut Plugin v2.55 10 Bit ???? Speed up???

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
Daniel

Neat Finalcut Plugin v2.55 10 Bit ???? Speed up???

Post by Daniel »

Hello,

i have the following problem. I have 10 bit FCP project with 10 bit sequence with a 10 bit Videoclip. I use the Reduce Noise Plugin v2.55 and when i open it... is in the options window written 8-BIT RGB??? Is it an error?

OSX v10.5.8
Final Cut Pro v6.06
2x3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB 667 MHz DDR2

How can i speed up my rendering??? I need 33 Minutes for 1 Minute 10 Bit Video in a 10 Bit Sequenz with temporal filter radius 1 and high options.

I would be pleased about an answer.

Daniel

(PS: NeatVideo is a very cool & nice plugin ;-))
NVTeam

Re: Neat Finalcut Plugin v2.55 10 Bit ???? Speed up???

Post by NVTeam »

Daniel wrote:Hello,

i have the following problem. I have 10 bit FCP project with 10 bit sequence with a 10 bit Videoclip. I use the Reduce Noise Plugin v2.55 and when i open it... is in the options window written 8-BIT RGB??? Is it an error?
It is a kind of bug-feature of FCP itself. ;)
Please don't worry, it will work correctly and process your clip using all 10 bits.

Daniel wrote:OSX v10.5.8
Final Cut Pro v6.06
2x3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB 667 MHz DDR2

How can i speed up my rendering??? I need 33 Minutes for 1 Minute 10 Bit Video in a 10 Bit Sequenz with temporal filter radius 1 and high options.
You haven't specified the frame size (in pixels) and frame rate. Please add this information and I will estimate whether the speed you observe is normal for that hardware or it is too slow for some reason.

Please also check if the speed is different when you use 8-bit rendering precision in FCP, and if you render using another output compression codec. That may affect the speed quite a lot. Also, the input clip's codec is very important too. It may in some cases make a significant difference.

Thank you,
Vlad
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Thanks for the answer ;-)

I work with HD 1920x1080 Pixel and AJA Kona 3.
Here is a short test with the plugin with FinalCutPro.
I have directly exported as QT with same Settings.

10Bit Footage - 10Bit Compressor - 10 Bit Rendering ca. 40 min. for 1 min.
10Bit Footage - 10Bit Compressor - 8 Bit Rendering ca. 22 min. for 1 min.
10Bit Footage - 8Bit Compressor - 8 Bit Rendering ca. 22 min. for 1 min.
8Bit Footage - 8Bit Compressor - 8 Bit Rendering ca. 20 min. for 1 min.

Is it correct? or to long?

I have tested the rendering with Apple Qmaster. It Is no good, to many failure... I think is a FCP-Apple Problem.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I think it may be somewhat (like x1.5-2.0 times) faster if a better (faster) codec was used than the one you use now. You haven't specified which one is used but anyway, I encourage you to try rendering clips encoded with different codecs for a test. The rendering speed may be quite different because FCP clip reading speed varies depending on input codec. It is quite possible that reading (and then writing) the clip by FCP takes a significant part of the overall processing time that you have measured now.
In ideal conditions, rendering such footage using two 3 GHz Quad-Core Xeons should be about two times faster. However, when you take into account the reading/writing overhead, the realistic estimation is perhaps 1.5 times faster than it is now for 8-bit clip reading/rendering (three lower lines in your table).

Hope this helps,
Vlad