Follow workflow or you'll get transition issues

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
DCP

Follow workflow or you'll get transition issues

Post by DCP »

Not really a bug. But I'm applying NV to a finished edited film and whenever I applied to two clips with a dissolve transition the video dissolves in a very strange manner). The only work around for me is to apply NV to each clip; export; re-import; rebuild sequence with transitions. I know this is the recommended workflow anyway, but since my film was already done, it becomes a little more of a pain.

Anyway, love the way NV works so it's well worth the time invested.

Thanks.

Todd
DCP

Post by DCP »

Well, after further tests I've concluded that the best results I got was exporting the clips with transitions and then importing the new clip and adding NV. I know this can be a problem combining clips and using one profile (my profile build is good and nearly 'universal' for my camera).

I still see a bit of gradient issues, but I'll judge better once I see it blown up.

Todd
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

We will try to reproduce this on our test machines. If it is not directly reproducable, I will ask you for a small test project showing the effect.

Thank you,
Vlad
DCP

Post by DCP »

No problem.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It looks like we cannot directly reproduce this effect. Could you send us a small sample project that allows to reproduce it please?

Thank you very much,
Vlad
DCP

Post by DCP »

I can send two small clips (each with NV applied), and then add a cross dissolve as a transition. You'll see that the dissolve actually dissolves dark levels first as opposed to dissolving the entire image at the same time.

Also try two of your own clips (without NV) and add a cross dissolve (again, I'm working in FCP). Export as Self-Contained movie and Import. Watch the clip and see how it dissolves. Then apply NV to both clips and add the cross dissolve. Export as a Self-Contained movie and import back into FCP. If you compare the two clips (both dissolves; the import with NV and the import without). The dissolves with NV aren't terrible, they're just 'different'. Because of constant crashes with FCP I usually render then export (without clicking too many things because this generally gave me the 'memory error'; I did adjust memory setting in FCP but I still get crashes).

My workflow is with DVCPRO HD (720p) and exporting into Cineform (1280x720p). It is possible the change happens on the export (I'll try to check that out tonight). I can also try to attach a still frame of the two clips mid dissolve (the ones with NV and the ones without) and you can see a distinct difference.

Let me know what you need.

Again, I just watched the entire film blown up onto a 90" screen and the image looked great!

Todd
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

We have tried the above workflow with our own clips but unfortunately have not observed any unusual results in the transition area. Perhaps the results depend on specific clips? Could you e-mail us a ready-to-render project with two your test clips? We will render it according to your scenario and hopefully reproduce the effect. Please also add some still frames (or even the final rendered clip) illustrating the effect to help us understand what to look for.

Regarding crashes, how much (in MB) memory is currently given to FCP on your computer? Have you tried to disable mutliprocessor support in NV Options?

Thank you,
Vlad
DCP

Post by DCP »

Vlad,

Never mind. I believe I've found out the problem is the type of transition I'm using. It's actually a filter (not a transition) from Digital Film Tools called Optical Dissolve v3.0.0. This is a dissolve that truly resembles the type of dissolves in film.

When I used just a standard transition, I didn't see the problem (I actually used the Optical Dissolve in the film more than the standard transitions).

This was my fault for calling it a cross-dissolve. Again, I found no problems when using the standard transition. As far as using DFT Optical Dissolve: the method I had mentioned -exporting the sequence then importing and adding NV.

As far as how much memory: I have FCP using 66% (1690MB) and keeping the rest for NV. I also admit that some of the clips have the multiprocessor still enabled (every cut has NV applied and I'm sure I'm maxing the system).

FYI, I had a screening for my DP and he was blown away how great the image looked. He thought there might have been minor softening to the image but he also was use to watching the Blu-Ray version (which I'm putting together next).

Excellent plug! Probably the most useful one I've purchased!

Todd