Gridding artifact in solid areas

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
Lugarimo

Gridding artifact in solid areas

Post by Lugarimo »

When denoising with NV, there's sometimes appears a grid in areas of no motion and solid color. Usually on areas with less or no noise. This isn't really a problem or annoying, just wanted to let you know if you weren't aware, because this might bug videophiles or companies who need their videos flawless.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Which version of NV is it (which host application)? Still Demo edition of NV, is that correct?

Thank you,
Vlad
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

Yeah, with Virtualdub.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I guess you use an older version. Please try the latest one. And also, non-Demo versions should be better too.

Vlad
DCP

Post by DCP »

After doing some renders I too see this gridding pattern. Kind of looks like looking through a small screen door.

I have the latest versions of FCP, Quicktime, NV, OSX.

Todd
DCP

Post by DCP »

I've noticed that selecting the Adaptive Filtration helps a little with getting rid of the small grid pattern. Again, sometimes it's noticeable and other times not as much. I'll try compressing for DVD/Blu-Ray and see if I can notice it projected onto a big screen.

Todd
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Could you send me a project allowing to reproduce the effect please? When we see it directly, we can determine what is causing it and find a solution.

Thank you,
Vlad
DCP

Post by DCP »

Hi NVTeam,

I'm still going to hold judgment on the gridding issue (which may not be an issue at all). We all know how Mac has a gamma issue and I want to be sure that there really is a problem first; I'll be compressing later this week and then I will see). Even though I'm using the Matrox MXO on a second ACD I'm not overly confident that WYSIWYG.

I will follow up with this. I am pleased to say that the results I'm getting with the Mac version are better than what I got with the PC version and then importing into Mac (which could actually be a codec issue when exporting out of Premiere with the DVCPRO HD codec). Fortunately I erased my Windows drive and re-NV'd my old clips.
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

Hi, I just wanna say that I no longer had this problem when I switched to the latest version, but it wasn't really annoying especially after compressing with a codec it became even less noticeable.