After 30 hours processing...

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
Lugarimo

After 30 hours processing...

Post by Lugarimo »

NeatVideo has done nothing. The videos in question are 120min footages with a somewhat variable gaussian noise. I made a profile as usual, with 85% rating and I selected 100 frames in virtualdub and the result was perfect, so thru avisynth with all the necessary cropping/resizing etc. I opened the video, applied the profile with a radius of 3 so it doesnt take too long and selected x264lossless for the codec. It took 15 hours each to process the videos and the result is a two 9GB AVI files that are EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE SOURCE VIDEOS. Well, they aren't, with careful examination of a couple screenshots I noticed that some pixels are very slightly brighter or darker, slightly less entropy.

What the hell is going on here? Right now, I think I must've made a mistake in configuration, because I was tired and desperate for sleep while I was setting it up to process overnight while I would be sleeping. Still, I never would be so irresponsible to make a mistake as dumb as that one to waste 30 hours. So tell me, is there any issue involving processing a large amount of data with NeatVideo with little RAM? I got 1GB but only 200-400 or so available at the time, and I set the priority on virtualdub for the first video to Lower and the other to Even Lower so the first one finishes first.

Now, before I try again, do tell me if I have done anything wrong the first time, or any more details you need, cuz I don't wanna waste another 30 hours for nothing.

Thanks!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I guess it made/makes sense to check the whole setup in Avisynth on a small clip first. Please try that now. The problem may be in your script, in codecs you use, in NV settings you give it, etc. Make a small clip work first, then render the whole thing.

Vlad
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

I did do a test on one video, but before I made the avs script. I'll do that now.
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

Ok, I processed 100 frames and saved to an AVI and the noise was not present. The output pane on VirtualDub also confirmed it was working, and while processing the entire video again, the output pane confirmed the filter was in action. When I opened the 9 GB AVI and browsed to the 100000th frame where the scene of my 100-frame test clip was located, noise was present like last time and I wasted 15 hours again. What the hell am I doing wrong? Some problem with adaptive filtration or something? Ugh!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Which version/edition of Neat Video is it?
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

Neat Video 2.0 Demo plug-in for VirtualDub.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The Demo plug-in is limited to 30 min of footage as specified in the featuremap, so I guess you observe that limit in action.
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

AAAHHHHH, no f***ing wonder! I guess this is what I get when I don't read the readme. I will definitely set up a PayPal account soon so I can use NV freely. Thanks.